Becky came up with the brilliant idea to post health updates on this blog. For those of you who don't know about my mommy, she was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in the middle of March. In the span of two weeks, she has had one CT scan, 2 broncoscopies, 2 biopsies, and 1 PET scan and each report gave us a different diagnosis, from pancreatic cancer to respiratory infection. Last tuesday, we received the "final" diagnosis, stage four squamous cell carcinoma lung cancer. On the phone, the doctor gave me a heartbreaking prognosis and my mom's life expectancy was shortened from years to months. I have not told my parents the whole truth yet, not until we see how she responds to chemotherapy.
Mommy had her first chemo session on Monday. Unfortunately, this was pre-"final" diagnosis so the regimen prescribed for my mom is only half effective. Carbo works, but alimta does not(I've done A LOT of research). She is doing amazingly well for someone who has had toxic substances pumped through her veins.
We are so physically and emotionally exhausted though, and it's been a difficult month, to say the least.
Anyhoo, this blog was created because:
1) i want to keep you guys updated on my mom's health and it would take forever to tell everyone
2) people have been asking for specific ways to pray for us
3) i want to share the ways that God has been working in my family
4) it's another way to stay connected to my amazing community
There are more reasons that I cannot think of right now.
Prayer requests for this week:
- Physical healing- please pray that chemo drugs effectively shrink tumor masses and keep the cancer from spreading.
- Spiritual healing- mommy tam is beginning to seek God, so please pray that He will hold her close and speak clearly to her.
- Peace- please pray that God will give us peace and comfort in these dark times.
- Strength- please pray that we will draw from God's love and strength.
Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement! We are amazed and uplifted by your kindness and your love!